Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ is a safe product to use on softshell fabrics. It is WaterBased, non-flammable, contains no harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and is fluorocarbon free. Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ has been specifically designed and optimzed for softshell clothing, providing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) whilst maintaining breathability. Nikwax SoftShell Proof requires no heat to develop its DWR, so it is not necessary to use a tumble drier for best results.
Breathable softshell garments are most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric absorbs water, the garment can lose up to 70% of its breathability. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) on the outer fabric of your softshell jacket must be maintained to ensure comfort. It will eventually wear off and need to be renewed with Nikwax SoftShell Proof™.
Softshell fabrics combine desirable properties of hardshells and fleeces to improve user comfort while providing protection in most conditions.
Softshells are breathable and stretchy while also being highly water and wind repellent. They fit the shape of the wearer, allow the movement of moisture away from the body and at the same time they shed water and protect against wind chill. Softshells provide a versatile outer layer that can cope with most conditions.
To maintain their water repellency and breathability it is essential that the Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating is maintained. Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ has been specifically formulated to maintain optimum performance of softshell fabrics.
WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT:
Your softshell garment could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. First, try cleaning it with Nikwax Tech Wash®, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalized just from cleaning. But, once the garment has been thoroughly worn, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax SoftShell Proof™, after cleaning first with Nikwax Tech Wash®.
HOW YOU SHOULD USE IT:
For best results remove all non-washable parts and always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.
With a Machine:
Top Loading Machine Wash:
- Place maximum of 3 garments in washing machine.
- After the machine has filled add 10fl oz (300ml) of SoftShell® Proof.
- Set cycle to Heavy and Warm, Low water level.
Front Loading Machine Wash:
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
- Add 3fl oz (100ml) of SoftShell® Proof per garment.
- Run 30°C Synthetic cycle and slow spin.
To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Do not use detergents.
Use gloves (to avoid waterproofing your hands!).
- Immerse 1 clean garment in 6L hand-hot water in sink or bowl.
- Use 2fl oz (50ml) of SoftShell® Proof.
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
- Rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
- Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting if care label allows.